Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Incredibly Intense Day on the Farm

We had quite a day on the farm today. I am sick with a stomach virus and covered in mucus and blood from a goat. My blood pressure is through the roof. But what a day full of miracles and blessings.

It started with Rowdy Mator arriving first thing. He settled right in and made himself at home with with the hay. I combed his mane and they got his halter on him. The family was happy with how he just settled in. Everyone watched to make sure he and the goats could co-exist in the yard. Mom put the dogs out and suddenly all the commotions going on and there had been chickens hiding in the yard and my girls went after them. People came running from all directions of the house and yards. One is minus a bunch of feathers but all are OK. We went inside, I tried to eat lunch and my tummy didn't want too so, I sampled my food and gave up.

Robert came by in the late afternoon and asked if I was aware that Hill-Billy was being really mean and aggressive to Rowdy Mator. I went out to do yard control and I put a lead ..dy Mator and Robert corralled Hill-Billy in the dog yard. I was getting ready to release Rowdy Mator and Robert goes, "Hey Taniss, did you know there is a baby goat" Of course I didn't and sure enough there was a wee goat. Long story short, Oreo had twins, the second one was coming one leg and she couldn't have the baby. I gloved up and (sorry to the girlie girls reading this, this is life on the farm) was elbow deep in goat, yeah, the baby was breech. I tried and tried and tried to get the baby to turn and I was praying and to my frustration I couldn't do it. My aunt came over and she couldn't even get her hand in. So I called the vet and he said come here and so Stephanie and Brenda went in Brenda's truck with Oreo in Stephanie's lap and Mom drove my car with me holding the first baby. It took the vet awhile and lots of strength to turn the baby. When I had tried it felt like the baby was in a ball and the vet said I was correct. When he delivered the baby Brenda motioned for me because I was outside the room trying to keep the baby quiet. The newly delivered baby wasn't breathing but it had a heartbeat, I thought I was going to pass out from relief. I had already been shaking all over from trying to deliver the baby myself. The vet roughed the baby up and it finally sneezed and started breathing. For a while it was more touch than go and the baby had a neurological twitch which was bad but after patting and rubbing and talking to the baby she seemed to gain some strength. He gave Oreo some shots for different things and we paid him and off we went back home Stephanie in my backseat with Oreo and Mom driving and me holding 2 very precious bundles. We got home got them back in the yard and Oreo was exhausted and still having contractions, she bathed the babies and Lexington ate dinner, LOL, but Precious was still having some issues. She wasn't trying to eat or stand she wanted to sleep and that wasn't good because of the rough time she had being born. I mixed up the Colostrum and Stephanie got her to eat a little from the bottle. I was exhausted, sick and filthy, Brenda said not to stress she would make it or else she wouldn't. Stephanie said that baby was going to LIVE. She took her out to her house and she is taking care of her overnight to make sure she doesn't have any complications because of the delay in delivering her. When Stephanie headed home Precious seemed to be doing well, she was trying to push up and she had drank a little bit more. It's all those prayers we prayed. I'm sure Stephanie will get laughs for many days to come because I was screaming praying like God was hard of hearing. LOL. He wasn't because He helped us.
Because of all of this Billy is in the dog yard still so the dogs couldn't go out to potty so all 4 dogs had to be walked out front on a leash.

That is a crazy day in farm life. I love all my babies but right now I'm laying here still shaking, I've taken by BP pill and the room isn't quite so strange and I'm trying to chill. I still need a shower but when you are this tired and relieved and tired, you just don't care!!!
Oh, add to that Regina had to go to the hospital she was having contractions too. LOL. Haven't heard how she's doing yet.

All seems quiet on the farm and I'm headed to a shower and bed now, with a badly bruised foot from being stepped on by a 300lb mini horse. LOL. I thought it was broken at first but it may be sprained or just badly bruised, it's not swollen anymore and I can walk on it.
I'm signing off, Molly B is due any day...Anyone want delivery duty??? It's magical seeing that tiny baby that would almost just fit in your hand. Birth is such a miracle!!!

No comments:

Goodbye 2023 and Hello 2024

  All the posts on what this year will hopefully bring and the blessings from the past year. I'm not willing to discuss the last year an...