Thursday, March 12, 2009

Blondie is Sick (Chicken)

I have a lame chicken. We are hoping it's rickets and will work out. Monday night Mom was gone so I was out alone doing feed/water and head count on all the animals. It sounds simple but it's not. It's quite a job. Burns calories for every 2 minutes I burn 9 calories. LOL. I'm diet/workout minded. LOL.

Blondie was laying in the horse/chicken barn on her side I thought she was dead but when I touched her she moved away behind a brick. I thought she was seriously dying so I tried to get her and she didn't want to be gotten so I figured Lil Roo would take care of her, he is her protector and they are always together. Well the next day she was still alive when I got home so the next morning I called the vet and asked what to do. He thought it might be lice or mites which do to young chickens what fleas do young cats and dogs. Most of you will probably remember my kitten escapades with fleas and how it almost killed my kittens. But with determination and alot of hard work we saved them all.

Well, Dad got the meds Wednesday night and I went out in the rain and fought Lil Roo to bring Blondie in and she was so weak and listless. We put her in a box and gave her .1cc of Bayril and I put a little lid of water and she went crazy and drank it up so I gave her a little bit bigger bowl and put some feed down and she ate it, well she ate the pieces she liked. LOL.

So we gave her an injection again this morning and she seemed to be much stronger. Since she was acting better and not going crazy everytime I got near the box I started checking in her feathers to check for bugs. Sure enough once I got way down in the white fluffy part under her yellow feathers she has lice. They are the same blond color so they were very hard to detect. I went up to Cook Feed and got some Poultry Dust, came home dusted her and they started pouring off of her. I sat there watched them climb out of the feathers walk around drunkenly and fall off dead. I have to say at this point I've taken a million showers it seems I feel all creepy crawly. LOL. She seems much stronger.


Mom took these pics tonight when I was giving her meds and changing her paper and I change her water several times during the day. Tonight when Dad came in to do the injection she was scared and tried to get up by herself. She isn't scared of me anymore but Dad flipped her out. Her one leg is still gimpy but all in all she does seem better.




She is still a very sick chicken. Tonight we gave her a little bit of lettuce and she enjoyed that and then I scrambled her an egg and she tore it UP. LOL. She loved it. The one leg is still not working right and she isn't getting up today by any means. That leg has been very gray and dead looking but tonight when I excercised it there was some pink back in it. The vet said she might have rickets in her legs which could be temporary paralysis. I'm crossing my fingers.


If you are wondering why I am telling this story in such detail it's because not only is this my blog but I can go back and read what I did so the next time I can remember LOL.
Blondie isn't out of the woods by any means. I'm glad the bright green runny poo is gone. Hehe. If she doesn't gain use of her leg she may still have to go down but she is a fighter and so am I!!! So hopefully I can once again get her back up and healthy with the Lord's help. You will laugh but I pray for her every time I work with her. I talk to her and she is getting spoiled I believe. LOL. She will want to be a house chicken. LOL.

No comments:

Goodbye 2023 and Hello 2024

  All the posts on what this year will hopefully bring and the blessings from the past year. I'm not willing to discuss the last year an...