Sunday, November 23, 2008

Life on The Farm - Built a barn

Well, we had to have better shelter for my goats and chickens, etc. So first off my uncle built me some bad to the bone nesting boxes for each set of animals. Then last week Mom and Dad built a little house for the silkies. Their nesting boxes and roost fits in it, we just have to put in a roof but for one the cages are covered so they are fine. I guess they all like it now, they are all snuggled up on the roost and nesting boxes.

That worked but the goats and big chickens have a shack. Looks like a homeless persons shack. LOL. For real, like those ones under the bridge right outside of downtown Dallas. Anyways, Dad designed a nice house that is 11 feet by 11 feet and can be easily added onto. It has a tin roof and is really neat. We put the nesting boxes for the big girls in there and the food cans and now we have a little shelf we can store stuff on. I'm going to get a shelf with doors so I can store my birthing stuff for the goats and eventually when we get the horse his tack will go in there. I just have to get the stalls built inside it. Then next year we'll put siding on it. It's really neat looking right now, I'm proud of it. It's just plastic covered but it works.

We built the frame inside our house. That was a interesting thing. LOL. The frames are 11 feet long and like 6 feet tall. LOL. It was so chilly outside so we decided since it had to be done and quickly we would just do it in the house. It worked.



Then they took the walls outside and laid them in the front yard and I stapled the heavy duty plastic on each one. That was quite a chore since the North wind was blowing in. Thankfully Robert came out and helped.


Once the walls were up and the nesting boxes were in I called the goats in to see what they thought. They loved it. I tried not sitting on the ground. When you have chickens and goats there is not a safe place to sit on the ground. I ended up ON the ground though and that is OK, when Molly's babies get here I'm sure I'll have worse on me. LOL. I'm so excited I can't wait and she is getting so close. I just love the goats, I love all the animals and I'm so happy to be getting to live out my dream of having a farm. Mind you it's a mini farm with mostly mini animals but I love the feeding and watching them and waiting for the babies and the surprise of finding baby chicks hatching and now they are in the house and I'm watching them grow and seeing them get their feathers in and loosing their fuzz. It's so neat.


This is pretty much the finished product for now, until next year. The roof still had to be added at this point but you get the idea.


So life on the farm is busy as ever, we are awaiting the arrival of Molly's babies and by the looks of things tonight it will be soon.

No comments:

Goodbye 2023 and Hello 2024

  All the posts on what this year will hopefully bring and the blessings from the past year. I'm not willing to discuss the last year an...