Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Farm and Storms

Sigh, so last night I decided that our new rabbit, which is the tamest and sweetest ever, needed to come inside since it was going to be storming. A good decision, Snowball previously lived in someones house and garage. So she is very pampered. I used to have rabbits and they were good but this rabbit is like a dog, she comes to you and you go out to her pen and she will come over and stand up so you will pick her up. It's weird and really funny.

Then my Mom started obsessing about the other animals not having enough shelter. The goats have a house until we get the shed built with stalls etc (for the horse). So the big girls (chickens) are the ones without a home. The having their nesting boxes and then there are various areas they can get under to get out of the sun/rain, etc. Well, evidently my Mom went out and took the chickens off their roosts and put them under shelter and they went right back to their roost. So she came busting in my room flipping out and carrying on about chickens drowning in the rain because they are so stupid. Ok, so they aren't the smartest, I agree, but chickens are not totally stupid. We are raising them, there is a small brain in there, I think. Anyways, she was soaking wet and I looked up online and everyone that raises chickens said a chicken drowning in rain can happen but is not common. Chickens will get out of the rain. That didn't satisfy her so finally I got up found my plastic flipflops (my yard shoes, LOL, they can't be ruined but you know what and mud, etc.) and I headed out to "save" the chickens. OK, I'll be honest I was a little perturbed, umm, okey make that alot perturbed. LOL. I wasn't worried about them but I'm like the "saviour" to the yard, I'm not scared of the animals and I just do what has to be done, I guess I chase them down and catch them best. LOL. So back to the yard. It was POURING rain, lightening, the whole nine yards and I'm out in ankle deep water and black clay/mud to SAVE these chickens that are roosting out in that chaos. Guess what... Yeah, no chickens out in the elements. They had been smart enough once left alone to get down off the roosts and find shelter. A couple were in the goat house with the goats and one was out under a little area we set up for them. We had a board leaning against the fence and our the littlest girls were under that. So we had one chicken missing in action. Guess what she's alive and well. She had found a good place to stay. So this weekend my job is chicken HOUSES, not laying boxes not roosts and HOUSE. So next time I don't have to deal with my rocketing blood pressure while dealing with a hysteric mother. Good grief!!!

Thankfully my dogs decided to get along OUT OF THE BLUE. I've tried socializing them for ever and I've gotten bit and that hurts really bad. Nothing worked. My aunt and uncle put a fence up for me across my backyard so my yard dogs had a place to go, while my Eskies went out to take care of business. After several days of this Hayleigh (yard dog) ended up at the back door with Frostie and Laycie (Eskies). I was shocked but happy that the 3 of them had decided to get along in the yard. Delaynie was still acting very aggressive if I stepped into the yard (my dogs are all VERY protective of ME, it's cool!!!) Well, a couple weeks went by with Hayleigh escaping to hang out with Frostie and Laycie when they were out. Then one day I looked up and about passed out. Delaynie was looking in the door at me. For a couple days he and Frostie were a little leery of one another but all in all they made peace. Last night they all slept in the utility room, which is where Frostie and Laycie live because they hate being outside, they hate it with a purple polka dotted passion, well Laycie does and Frostie won't do anything without Laycie. So yeah, it's really strange but VERY nice that they all get along now. Every once in a while Delaynie gets an attitude but Frostie has discovered that he is Alpha dog under me. LOL. He may be 12 years old but he has 3 year old Delaynie on the ground with a growl.

It's really interesting to watch and observe all the different animals on the farm. They all have their own personalities and each one is different. I love seeing how they all learn to work with one another and even different types of animals and how they relate to other kinds. Like the goats and chickens or chickens and rabbit. I love the animals. I should have persued my desire to be a vet. Now I'm just too uninterested in school to go back right now and if I did go back to school I have something I would rather persue than animal medicine.

This is just one day in the life on the farm. Actually make that a few hours. LOL. There is always excitement. Like waiting on the girls (goats) to give birth. LOL. I keep thinking this is it and she keeps going. Can't wait until my calender represents the farm life and I'm not guessing. I hate this hurry up and wait. So I'm sure I'll have more installments to come soon. It's just life on the farm.

No comments:

Goodbye 2023 and Hello 2024

  All the posts on what this year will hopefully bring and the blessings from the past year. I'm not willing to discuss the last year an...