Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Homeschooling Experience (for those that are asking)

So I guess people have this weird misconception that my family was the "perfect" homeschooling family and went totally by the book. I crack up when I'm alone at how hilarious people are. They obsess about doing everything correct to the point that they probably defeat the purpose. Everyone has a reason why they do things the way they do and it must be this way for the world to remain an interesting place to be. LOL. If you and I weren't weirdos, who would be??? Oh, I'm sorry you didn't realize you were? Well, Ummm Don't worry about it, just act like that never happened. LOL.

So I was in a private school for 1 1/2 years, kindergarten and half of first grade. My Mom was so concerned about my schooling and raising her kids she would drop me off at school and take my baby brother to the church and pray for me until school was out then she would come pick me up and we would go home. In first grade she approached my principal about teaching me at home. He was very supportive and though it was illegal to homeschool, Mom began to teach me at home. The school gave me my tests and I'll tell you right now, Mom was MEAN, the stress was overwhelming sometimes worrying that someone would fine out and turn us in. Back then homeschool support lawyers would tell you to always have a bag packed and gas in your car in case you had to flee. Sounds crazy and dramatic but that was life for a couple years. I don't remember the rally's very well, but protesting on the steps of the capitol building and speaking out about homeschooling finally brought around a victory and homeschooling became legal. My Mom became very active in politics and was very actively working as a fill-in.

Life became much easier school wise after that. We begin using curriculem that we chose and Mom begin to work alot more hands on. Somedays, Science was so cool that is all we did, the next day would be catch up for everything else. And for you that think I was at my desk at 8am. LOL. Oh, boy do you have a lot to learn. Sometimes I got up early, other days we got up late. There were days that things just weren't happening and we did school when Dad got home. LOL. Oh the days that Algebra was done at midnight with Dad. hehe.

There was no DVD programs to entertain and give Mom a break while we did our school. Nope, Mom had to do it on her own. I look at homeschoolers today and it gives me an appreciation for my Mom and the hard work she had to endure. There was a time she homeschooled other kids also. I don't remember school ever being very boring or wanting to drop out. She did her best to give us books that would help us and tried to make it fun. She gave alot to give us the best education for us.

I will NEVER forget the Friday classes. No school on Fridays. That was our Support Groups day to get together every week. We rotated house to house and it was a blast. That was the days the Moms took turns to teach us what they were good at. My Mom did history and we would take countrys or states, depending on what we were doing, and did our research adn lunch was foods we cooked from the country we were doing reports on. These classes were where I learned to decorate cakes and cook. We learned to sew and write creatively and once a month was park day and we all went to a park. I remember for awhile alot of families didn't have extra cars so people carpooled to our house and we would walk to a park. We thought it was great fun. LOL.

Then graduation day rolled around. I was a little concerned about how that would work out. Then I heard about HOPE, they hosted a graduation ceremony each year for homeschool graduates. I went to meetings, joined the decorating commitee and began to plan for the big day. I planned my table with precision and it was perfect. We walked down the aisle and sat on a platform, there was 20 other students graduating that night and I met them at our first meeting. At these graduations you had better remember your tissue because you were going to need it. WOW, our parents got up and stood with us and spoke about our homeschool journeys and each one was different but so many had made life changing sacrifices in order to make it happen. We had pledges, songs and prayers, We had chosen a student to speak on behalf of our graduating class and a speaker to charge and challenge us. Then they had us go to the main floor and our family and all our friends gathered around each of us and prayed for us. It was so touching and I am soooooo very glad I did it. It is that moment in my life that made a lasting impression. People that didn't know us cared about us.

I miss that part of my life, I am excited that my nephew and cousins are all starting school and part of them are homeschooling. It's a journey my family began and struggled to continue so that others behind us would have freedom to follow.

No comments:

Goodbye 2023 and Hello 2024

  All the posts on what this year will hopefully bring and the blessings from the past year. I'm not willing to discuss the last year an...